Chicken and pineapple are the perfect combo – and not just on Hawaiian pizza!
- 12 chicken drumsticks
- 30ml sunflower oil
- 1 small pineapple, peeled and cubed
- 10ml chicken stock powder
- 5ml smoked paprika
- 5ml barbeque spice
- 5ml dried oregano
- 5ml chilli flakes
- salt and pepper
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 10ml fresh ginger, grated
- 400ml pineapple juice
- 15ml honey
- 30ml dark soy sauce
- 15ml sriracha sauce
- flatleaf parsley and mint, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Combine all the ingredients for the spice rub and season the chicken well.
- Heat most of the oil in an ovenproof casserole and brown the chicken pieces on both sides.
- Remove the chicken from the casserole and set aside.
- Add the pineapple to the same pan and cook until caramelized. Remove.
- Add the rest of the oil and cook the onion for a few minutes. Add the chopped green pepper and the ginger and cook for another 2 minutes on medium heat. Season.
- Add the pineapple juice, honey, soy sauce and the sriracha and let it simmer for about 2 minutes. Add more of the spice rub to taste.
- Return the chicken and the pineapple to the casserole. Bake in the oven for about 35 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and golden brown and the sauce has thickened.
- Sprinkle with the parsley and mint and serve with flatbreads for a delicious meal.