Stuffed peppadew and feta chicken breasts
This dreamy combo of chicken, pap and corn-and-bacon salsa is a must-try.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 12 slices streaky bacon
- 80g peppadews, roughly chopped
- 180g feta cheese, mashed
- 10g parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 litre water
- 15ml salt
- 350ml maize meal
- 200ml cream
- 30g butter
- 150g bacon, finely chopped
- 2 corn cobs, kernels cut off
- 15g parsley, sliced
- zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 190°
- Mix the peppadews, feta, parsley and pepper together.
- Place the chicken breasts between two layers of clingwrap. Using a rolling pin, bat them out gently until they’re slightly thinner and even.
- Place a chicken breast on a chopping board, spread a quarter of the peppadew mix over it and roll the chicken into a sausage shape.
- Repeat with each chicken breast and season with salt and pepper.
- Wrap each chicken breast with three pieces of bacon, securing it together with toothpicks.
- Place the wrapped chicken breasts on a lined oven tray.
- Bake the breasts at 190°C for 15 minutes. Turn the oven temperature down to 180°C for a further 30 minutes and cook the chicken until done.
- Bring the water and salt to the boil.
- Slowly add the maize meal, whisking continuously.
- Once it’s all combined and there are no lumps, put the lid on the pot and turn the heat down. Allow to cook for 10– 15minutes.
- Stir in the cream and butter, and season to taste.
- Fry the chopped bacon in a pan over a medium heat. Add the corn two minutes before the bacon is ready.
- Stir through the chopped parsley and lemon zest.
- Serve the creamy pap on a plate, topped with sliced rounds of chicken and salsa.