Lemon and herb chicken flattie with charred green bean salad
This is a great technique for braaing chicken in half the time.
- 1 lemon, zested and sliced
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) herbs of choice
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) oil
- A handful of green beans
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) oil
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) lemon juice or vinegar
- 1 tsp (5ml) sugar
- 1 tsp (5ml) salt
- 1 can (410g) baked beans, reserve juices
- 1 can (410g) butter beans, drained
- Turn the chicken upside down (breasts facing down) with the legs facing you.
- Cut along both sides of the backbone using sharp scissors.
- Flip the chicken over and flatten it down with both hands.
- Zest or grate the lemon skin.
- Add lemon zest, herbs and oil to a bowl and mix to form a paste.
- Pat the chicken dry and place the herb and zest mixture under and over the chicken skin.
- Sprinkle the chicken skin with salt and place a few lemon slices along the breast.
- Over medium coals, cook the chicken bone side down first for 40 - 45 minutes, flipping after 30 minutes. Arrange the coals around the chicken so that it cooks via indirect heat, not burning the skin before cooking the chicken.
- To make the bean salad, on the fire, cook your green beans till vibrant green and slightly charred, about 5 minutes.
- To make the dressing, mix oil, vinegar, salt and sugar until sugar and salt have dissolved.
- Combine baked beans with can juices, butter beans and charred green beans in a bowl. Drizzle with dressing and serve alongside chicken flattie.