This recipe takes patience, but it’s so worth it!
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 Tbsp paprika
- 10-piece chicken braai pack
- 1½ cups cake flour
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp dried herbs (oregano, thyme, or coriander)
- vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 Tbsp ginger, grated
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 2 lemongrass stalks, chopped (optional)
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup water
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup tomato sauce
- ½ red onion, chopped
- a handful of cocktail tomatoes, quartered
- ¼ cucumber, chopped
- a glug of olive oil
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- Combine the buttermilk, garlic, paprika, and chicken in a large bowl. Season and marinate overnight, if possible.
- Combine flour, garlic powder, and herbs. Season well.
- Add ¼ cup (60ml) of marinade mixture to the flour mixture and combine. Use a fork to create large flakes.
- Dip each chicken piece in flour mixture, coating evenly. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large pot or work.
- Deep-fry the chicken in oil for about 7-8 minutes or until cooked through and golden. Drain on paper towel.
- For the sauce, heat the sesame oil in a pot. Fry the garlic, ginger, lemongrass, and chilli for 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Simmer gently for about 8-10 minutes or until reduced and sticky.
- Combine salsa ingredients, season well, and set aside.
- Serve the fried chicken drizzled with the Asian sauce. Top with tomato salsa, fresh herbs, and lime wedges.