A bit of sweet, a bit of salty, a whole lot of yum! These skewers are a must-make.
- 16 chicken wings, tips removed and winglets cut in two at the joint
- 4-8 pineapple chunks
- 2 cups (500ml) pineapple juice
- ¼ cup (60ml) soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) tomato sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed or 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp (5ml) ground ginger or 1 tsp finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) lemon juice or vinegar
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) cornflour, dissolved in 3 Tbsp (45ml) water
- Spring onion, chilli for serving
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together, barring the cornstarch.
- Pour ¼ of the marinade over the wings and leave to marinate for 1 hour at least.
- Meanwhile, heat the rest of the mixed marinade in a small saucepan, simmer for 5 minutes, then add the dissolved cornstarch. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until thickened.
- Thread the wings onto skewers - if you have large metal skewers 8 winglets should fit on.
- Finish the skewer off with a generous piece of pineapple.
- Pop the skewers onto the grill and grill, basting with the thickened marinade as it cooks.
- It should take about 15-20 minutes until the winglets are cooked through.
- Serve scattered with chopped spring onion, chilli and fresh coriander.