- 1 pack chicken drumsticks and thighs
- 20ml oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 large ripe tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped into chunks
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp medium curry powder
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- salt and pepper
- 125g cake flour
- 125g mealie meal
- 5ml instant dry yeast
- 60ml sugar
- 5ml salt
- 250ml warm water
- 20g fresh parsley, chopped
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large casserole. Add the chicken and bay leaf, and sauté until coloured.
- Blend the tomatoes, onion, garlic, thyme, paprika and curry powder together. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the sauce, 2 cups of chicken stock, and carrots into the casserole and simmer until thickened (approximately 30 minutes).
- Add the chicken pieces and continue to cook for a further 20 minutes.
- Turn the heat down completely.
- Place the dombolo balls on top of the stew, cover with a lid, and cook for a further 15-20 minutes until puffed up and cooked through.
- Combine all the dry ingredients together.
- Slowly add the warm water and mix for 10 minutes.
- Place the dough into an oiled bowl and cover with a damp cloth. Leave to prove for 1 hour in a warm place.
- Roll the dough into even-sized golf balls. Place on a greased tray and allow to rise until double the size.
- Place the dombolo balls in the stew.
- Serve the stew in the casserole, sprinkled with fresh parsley.