Brining the chicken overnight produces a much juicier and tender end product.
1 litre water
1 cup coarse salt
½ cup sugar
a handful of fresh herbs
2 lemons, sliced
2 tbsp black peppercorns
1 County Fair braai pack
1 cup melted butter
juice of 1 lemon
1kg store-bought bread dough
2 cups grated cheese
a handful of chives, chopped
2 red chillies, chopped
- Bring water, salt, sugar, herbs, lemon and peppercorns to a boil. Cool.
- Brine chicken in mixture for at least 1 hour.
- Remove from brine and place onto a greased baking tray.
- Brush with a quarter of the butter mixture and roast for 1 hour 15 minutes or until cooked through. Brush with the remaining butter continuously.
- Combine cheese, chives and chilli.
- Divide dough into 8 balls and flatten slightly to resemble a disc.
- Fill each disc with cheese mixture, fold over to enclose, and pinch the seams with your finger.
- Cover and leave to rise for 15 minutes.
- Braai over medium coals or cook in a hot griddle pan for about 6 minutes or until cooked through.
- Serve chicken with cheesy roosterkoek and lemon or lime wedges.