Impress your guests with this mouth-watering portuguese chicken grilled on the braai, served with roosterkoek, spinach and corn.
- 1 chicken braai pack
- 1 lemon
- 3 Tbsp Portuguese spice mix
- 6 corn on the cob
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 2 crushed garlic cloves, crushed
- salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 ripe tomato, diced
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 500g fresh baby spinach
- salt and pepper
- 1kg white bread flour
- 7ml sugar
- 2ml salt
- 10g instant yeast
- 500ml lukewarm water
- 15ml melted butter
- 200g butter to serve
- Season the chicken and marinate for a few hours.
- Roast in the oven for 45 minutes. Finish off on the braai to char the chicken and infuse the meat with delicious, smoky flavour.
- Parboil the corn, char on the grill, and toss in garlic-and-thyme butter.
- Serve with your braai chicken.
- In a medium-sized pan, heat the olive oil and add the garlic. Simmer on low for a few minutes, stirring until the garlic is translucent. This takes about 2 minutes.
- Add the diced tomato and sauté for a few minutes until soft.
- Toss in the baby spinach and cover with a lid. Simmer for a few minutes. Remove the cover and stir. The spinach is done as soon as it wilts.
- Taste, and season with salt and pepper.
- Turn off the heat and transfer to a serving plate.
- Combine the flour, sugar and salt. Sprinkle the instant yeast on top.
- Add just enough lukewarm water to form a stiff dough.
- Knead the dough until it’s elastic and no longer sticks to your hands.
- Brush the dough with melted butter and cover.
- Leave to rise in a warm place until double the size.
- Knead down and shape into small balls.
- Flatten the balls slightly and sprinkle with flour.
- Cook over a slow fire until done.