Creamy corn, noodle and chicken soup
Using the poaching liquid as the soup base makes for extra-delicious chicken flavour.
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- 15ml olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2.5ml thyme leaves
- 250ml cream
- 150g egg noodles
- 1 tin corn kernels, drained
- salt and pepper
- ciabatta bread
- Put the chicken stock and water into a pot over a medium-high heat. When it starts simmering, add the chicken breasts and turn the heat down to low.
- Allow the breasts to poach for 10-15 minutes, until cooked through.
- Remove the breasts from the liquid and put aside. Shred when cool enough.
- Turn off the heat with the liquid and also keep aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onions, celery, carrots, garlic, and thyme. Sauté gently, without allowing the veggies to colour, until softened. This takes about 8 minutes.
- Add the poaching liquid and cream, and bring to the boil. Now add the egg noodles.
- Turn the heat down, allowing the liquid to simmer, and cook according to package instructions. Add the shredded chicken and corn just before the noodles are almost ready.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot with crusty ciabatta on the side.