Who can say no to chilli, cheese and loads of yummy flavour? These tacos are easy to make and right on trend.
- 1 tbsp oil (olive, canola or sunflower)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 400g skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp chicken spice (see Cook’s Note)
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp Peppadew chutney (or chutney of your choice)
- 1 x 400g tin black beans (or beans of your choice), rinsed and drained
- 1 x 400g tin tomatoes, chopped
- 1 handful of fresh coriander or parsley, chopped
- 8 taco shells
- ½ a lettuce head, shredded
- 120ml soured cream
- Juice of 1 lime (or lemon)
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Heat the oil and butter in a large non-stick frying pan. Season the chicken strips with salt, pepper and chicken spice. Add the chicken strips to the pan and cook on a high heat until browned. Remove the chicken using a slotted spoon, put it onto a plate and keep aside.
- Add the onion to the pan (keep a little back for garnish) and cook until softened. Add the Peppadew chutney, beans and tomatoes. Bring to the boil and then simmer over a high heat for 10 minutes. Add the chicken and simmer for 5 minutes until piping hot. Add the coriander (keep a little back for garnish) and drizzle the lime juice over the avocado.
- Warm the tacos and stuff them with the chicken mix and lettuce. Top with the avocado, soured cream, cheese and a sprinkling of extra chopped red onion and coriander.
- Make your own chicken spice (makes about 100ml – store the rest in an airtight jar):
- Mix 3 tablespoons salt flakes, 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper, ½ teaspoon dried parsley, ½ teaspoon onion powder, ¼ teaspoon dried thyme, ½ teaspoon dried oregano, 1 teaspoon garlic flakes, ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika, ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, ¼ teaspoon chilli flakes and 1 tablespoon chicken stock powder.
- If you want a milder spice, leave out the cayenne pepper and chilli flakes.