Inspired by the popular West African dish, using simple ingredients to bring you the perfect family meal.
- 8 Pieces Goldi Mixed Portions
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) dried herbs
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 Tbsp (60ml) oil
- 1 onion, sliced into eight
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 chilli, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2cm of ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) tomato sauce
- 1 cup (150g) mielie meal, soaked overnight
- 1 can (410g) corn kernels, drained or 2 blanched whole corn, blanched and kernels removed
- 1 tomato, diced
- ½ cucumber, sliced
- To serve, parsley roughly chopped (optional)
- In a bowl, combine dried herbs, vinegar, lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of oil and marinate the chicken for 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan, pat the chicken dry and sear for 8 minutes, turning halfway.
- Remove chicken from the pan, add onions and caramelise for 5 minutes.
- Add green pepper, chilli, garlic, ginger, and tomato sauce.
- Add a splash of water if the onions are burning.
- Add chicken with marinade to the pan, nestling between onions and peppers, and add one cup of water.
- Let the chicken simmer covered until cooked for about 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the maize rice: Rinse and drain maize rice.
- Bring water and salt to a boil in a medium pot.
- Add maize rice and stir with a fork. Bring to a boil and cover with a lid.
- Turn down the heat and simmer for about 40 minutes or until cooked, stirring occasionally.
- Let maize cool before adding the rest of the salad ingredients.
- Serve with chicken.