This potjie is absolutely worth the time and effort. Enjoy socialising around the fire!
- 1x County Fair Braai pack 10 pieces
- Glug olive oil
- Salt and milled pepper
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) ground coriander
- Vegetable oil for frying
- ½ bag (150g) baby potatoes, halved
- 2 punnets (300g) baby butternuts, halved
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) paprika
- ¼ cup (60ml) tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) brown sugar
- 3 cups (750ml) chicken stock
- 4-6 baby marrows, sliced into thick rounds
- 1 punnet (200g) baby corn
- Juice (60ml) of 1 lemon or 2 limes
- Handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- Drizzle the chicken with oil and season with salt, pepper and ground coriander.
- Place a large potjiekos pot over hot coals.
- Add a generous amount of vegetable oil into the pot and brown chicken in batches for about 3 minutes per side. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Brown potatoes and butternut for 2-3 minutes each and remove from the heat and set aside.
- Add more oil if needed and fry onions for 4-5 minutes.
- Add garlic and paprika and fry for 2-3 minutes (add a splash of water if needed).
- Place pot over medium coals, add tomato paste and sugar and cook for 1 minute.
- Return the chicken, potatoes and butternut to the pot, pour over the stock, cover with a lid and simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Add baby marrows and corn, cover with a lid and simmer for another 10 minutes or until the chicken and vegetables are cooked.
- Season with lemon or lime juice, salt and pepper and stir through fresh coriander.
- Serve with rice, pap, mash or a side salad.