Making slashes in the chicken ensures that the meat absorbs all the spice flavours. Serve over pap at your next braai.
- 10 chicken drumsticks
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp dry mixed herbs
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 salad tomatoes, chopped
- ½ onion, chopped
- ½ cucumber, chopped
- Handful of coriander, chopped
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 3 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1½ cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups maize meal
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Slash the chicken drumsticks three times on each side.
- Mix all the chicken ingredients together and place on a baking sheet. Roast for 30 minutes.
- For the salsa, mix all the ingredients in a bowl and chill for 15 minutes before use.
- For the pap, bring salted water to a boil in a large pot. Sprinkle maize meal in, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir with a fork to produce a crumbly texture. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve with chicken.