Fry the bacon and colour the chicken skin first. You’ll be surprised how much flavour these two steps add!
- 200g bacon bits
- 1 x pack County Fair Star Pack
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 15ml flour
- 250ml cider
- 150ml chicken stock
- 150ml cream
- 4 golden delicious apples, sliced into wedges
- 15ml olive oil
- roasted potatoes
- steamed tender-stem broccoli
- Preheat the oven to 180°
- Spread out the bacon bits over a skillet and fry over a medium heat, stirring often. Once all the fat has rendered and the bacon has a beautiful colour, remove it from the skillet. Don’t discard the fat.
- Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Turn the heat up to medium high and add the chicken skin-side down, browning it in the bacon fat. Remove from the skillet.
- Turn the skillet down to low and add the onions, garlic and thyme. Sauté gently until softened. Add the flour and stir through for 2 minutes. Deglaze with the cider, chicken stock and cream, and bring to the boil. Add the chicken pieces, skin-side up.
- Place the skillet in the oven for 1 hour.
- Toss the apple wedges with the olive oil and some seasoning. Heat a pan over a medium heat and add the apples, tossing until golden and soft (but not mushy).