Cape Malay chicken biryani
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- seeds of 4 cardamom pods
- 3 garlic cloves, grated
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 cup plain yoghurt
- 1 chicken braai pack
- 15ml olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 150g basmati rice
- 50g brown lentils
- 3 large potatoes, cut into cubes and parboiled
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup yoghurt
- 1 cucumber, grated and drained
- 15g mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 15ml lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- salt and pepper
- ½ lemon
- fresh coriander
- Toast and blend all the spices together.
- Mix the spices through the yoghurt and pour over the chicken.
- Leave the chicken to marinate in the fridge overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 170°
- Heat the oil in a large casserole and sauté the onion until golden.
- Add the rice, lentils and potatoes, and give everything a good stir.
- Lay the marinated chicken pieces over the rice mixture, scooping in all the marinade.
- Pour the chicken stock over the chicken and place in the oven.
- Bake for one hour, stirring halfway through.
- Mix all the ingredients together and season to taste.
- Place the biryani in a large dish, drizzle with fresh lemon juice, and top with fresh coriander
- Serve with a bowl of raita on the side.