BBQ chicken with a spicy cucumber puthu salad
You probably have all the ingredients for this easy homemade barbeque sauce, a perfect pairing to a refreshing puthu salad.
- 8 Pieces Goldi Mixed Portions
- BBQ Sauce
- ¾ cup (180ml) tomato sauce
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) sugar
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) vinegar
- 2 tsp (10ml) cayenne pepper or paprika
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) water
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) oil
- 2 cups (500ml) water
- 1 tsp (5ml) salt
- 1 cup (150g) maize meal, soaked overnight
- ½ cucumber, sliced
- 1 chilli, finely sliced
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) oil
- 2 tsp (10ml) vinegar
- ½ cup (125ml) amasi
- Pat the chicken dry.
- To make BBQ sauce, combine tomato sauce, sugar, vinegar, cayenne pepper and water.
- In a frying pan, heat oil on medium heat and add chicken and brown sides for 4 minutes a side.
- Coat the chicken pieces with barbeque sauce, cover the chicken and continue to cook for 20 minutes. Cooking the chicken covered will prevent the sauce from catching and burning. Remove lid to let chicken crisp, and baste with any remaining BBQ sauce.
- To make salad combine oil, vinegar, chilli and cucumber.
- While the cucumber is marinating, bring water and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and add maize meal, cover and cook for 25 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and set aside to cool.
- To serve, add cucumber with marinade juices to the pap and drizzle with your desired amount of amasi. Serve alongside BBQ chicken.