Balsamic and fig roasted chicken with fig and goats cheese salad
Sticky, sweet and utterly satisfying – this is a must-make recipe.
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) butter
- 1 tsp (5ml) olive oil
- 5 chicken pieces braai pack
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ½ tsp (3ml) thyme leaves, preferably fresh
- 1/3 cup (80ml) red wine
- 340g fig preserve
- ¼ cup (60ml) orange juice
- ¼ cup (60ml) balsamic vinegar
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 50g rocket leaves
- 6 medium-large figs, sliced into wedges (if figs are not in season, you can use dried figs)
- 100g goats cheese
- 50g toasted walnuts
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) olive oil
- 1 ½ Tbsp (20ml) orange juice
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) honey
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a pan. Add the chicken pieces skin side down and allow to render until lightly golden, then remove from the pan.
- Add the onion to the pan and sauté for 4 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme and sauté for a further 3 minutes. Deglaze with the red wine and allow to simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add the fig preserve, orange juice and balsamic vinegar. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place the chicken pieces in a casserole dish and pour over the sauce.
- Place the thyme sprigs on top. Cover with a lid or foil and bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove the lid or foil, and bake for a further 15 minutes, or until cooked.
- In the meantime, prepare the salad – Lay the rocket down in a bowl or platter.
- Top with the fig wedges, crumble over the goat's cheese and scatter over the walnuts.
- Whisk together the olive oil, orange juice, balsamic and honey.
- Just before serving, drizzle over the dressing and season with pepper.