This easy recipe is big on Japanese-inspired umami flavours!
- 1 x whole chicken
- 60g teriyaki sauce, store-bought or homemade
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 1 thumb ginger, finely grated
- juice of 1 orange
- juice of 1 lemon
- 10-15ml hot sauce
- 15ml honey
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced
- 5g coriander leaves
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°
- To prepare the chicken, place the chicken on a chopping board, breast down. Using sharp scissors, cut down both sides of the back bone. Discard the bone. Turn the chicken over, and press down to flatten it.
- Place the chicken on a baking tray and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven for 50 minutes.
- Put the teriyaki sauce, garlic, ginger, orange juice, lemon juice, hot sauce, and honey in a pot over medium-high heat. Allow to simmer for about 10 minutes, until thickened.
- After the 50 minutes, remove the chicken from the oven. Baste with half the teriyaki glaze.
- Return the chicken to the oven for a further 10 minutes. Brush over the remaining glaze and return to the oven for a further 10 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Serve the chicken hot, garnished with the spring onion and coriander.