A little bit of effort = a fantastic dish for the entire family to enjoy!
Chicken: 1 whole chicken 1/3 cup orange juice zest of one orange 1/3 cup honey salt and pepper
Stuffing: 1½ cup dried breadcrumbs 30g almonds, roughly chopped ½ onion, finely chopped 1 clove garlic 30ml chutney (Mrs Balls) 5 sprigs thyme, leaves picked 10g parsley, roughly chopped salt and pepper 15ml butter ½ cup chicken stock, chilled
Fragrant rice: 700g pumpkin, cubed 15ml olive oil 5ml salt pepper 1 tablespoon butter 1 clove garlic, minced 1 tsp turmeric ½ tsp ground cumin 320ml jasmine rice 2 cups chicken broth 1 small bay leaf 1 cup peas, blanched 50g almonds, toasted 30g raisins 30g parsley, roughly chopped
Method:Method: Chicken and stuffing:
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- Combine all the stuffing ingredients. Stuff the stuffing inside the chicken’s cavity and keep whatever is left over.
- Place the chicken in a baking tray lined with foil. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Combine the orange juice, zest, and honey and brush half the glaze over the chicken.
- Place in the oven and roast, glazing the chicken every 10 to 15 minutes.
- If the chicken starts to colour too quickly, turn down the oven temperature slightly or place foil over the colouring parts.
- After one hour, check to see if the chicken is cooked through.
- Roll the remaining stuffing into balls and bake in the oven until golden. This takes approximately 20 minutes.
- Toss the chopped butternut with olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread over a baking tray lined with foil. Bake at 190 degrees Celsius until golden and cooked through.
- Melt the butter in a pot over medium heat. Add the garlic, turmeric, cumin and a pinch of salt and fry for two minutes.
- Add the dry rice and stir through until combined, lightly toasting the rice.
- Add the chicken stock and bay leaf, cover with a lid, and turn the heat to high.
- Bring the rice to a boil and then immediately turn down the heat. Allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, turn the heat off. Allow the rice to steam for another 10 minutes on the hot plate.
- Fluff the rice with a fork. Stir through the roasted butternut, peas, almonds, raisins, and herbs.