For many of us, garam masala is a pantry staple. Use these rich spices to add exotic flavour to roasted chicken.
Ingredients:For the chicken
- 1 x 7cm piece fresh ginger, finely grated
- 2 cups double cream yoghurt
- juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp garam masala
- 8 chicken thighs and drumsticks
- 2½ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp oil
- ½ small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of ½ lemon
- 1 mild red chilli, cut into thin rings and seeds and white membranes removed
- a handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp garam masala
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ cup double cream yoghurt
- Pre-heat the oven to 220°C.
- Mix the ginger with the yoghurt in a bowl. Add the lemon juice, cayenne pepper and garam masala. Mix well.
- Season the chicken with 1 tsp salt and place the pieces in a large, resealable plastic bag or plastic container with a lid. Add the yoghurt mixture and gently shake the bag or sealed container to combine. Leave to marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature or keep in the fridge for up to 4 hours.
- Place the chicken pieces in a roasting pan, drizzle with oil, and sprinkle with the rest of the salt. Toss to coat. Bake the chicken for about 35–40 minutes.
- In the meantime, mix the onion, ginger, lemon zest and juice, chilli rings, coriander, garam masala and salt.
- Pour the yoghurt into a serving bowl.
- Arrange the chicken on a platter and serve with the onion and ginger condiment, yoghurt and poppadums.