Love a traditional festive meal with roast chicken and all the trimmings? Then this recipe should go on your menu.
- 1/3 cup (80ml) dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp (30ml) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30ml) maple syrup
- ¼ cup (60ml) balsamic vinegar
- salt and black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 whole chicken
- a small handful of fresh thyme leaves
- ½ cup (125ml) fresh cranberries
- 2 tbsp (30ml) each maple syrup and melted butter
- 10-12 baby onions, peeled
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Blitz the ingredients for the marinade in a blender until smooth. Season to taste.
- Place the chicken on a roasting tray, pour over the marinade and cover.
- Marinate for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Roast the chicken, covered, in the marinade for 1 hour. Uncover and scatter with cranberries and thyme.
- Brush with maple syrup and butter, and roast for 20 minutes more.
- Place the onions on a roasting tray, drizzle with oil, season and roast for 20-30 minutes.
- Arrange the chicken and onions on a platter.
- Serve with green beans and creamy potato gratin.