Chicken with marsala, mushrooms and pasta shells
Adding marsala, a fortified wine, to chicken pasta quickly turns simple ingredients into a memorable meal.
- 8 chicken pieces
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed and finely chopped
- 1 x 250g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp cake flour
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped (or 1 tsp dried)
- ½ cup Marsala (see tip)
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ x 500g packet small pasta shells
- ½ cup sour cream (optional)
- extra chopped parsley and sour cream for garnish
- Heat the butter and oil in a heavy-bottomed pot and brown the chicken pieces.
- Add the spring onion, garlic and mushrooms and sauté.
- Mix the cake flour, salt and pepper, and add to the chicken along with the parsley and rosemary.
- Heat the Marsala, stock and lemon juice in a small saucepan and pour over the chicken.
- Cover the pot, lower the heat and simmer for about 45 – 50 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked.
- Cook the pasta, following the instructions on the packet. Drain and carefully stir into the chicken.
- Add the sour cream just before serving.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and sour cream.