Using a brick to weigh the chicken down helps get the skin crispy while reducing the cooking time.
- 1 whole chicken
- 80ml oil
- 10g parsley
- 10g basil
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- juice of 1 lemon
- salt and pepper
- Prepare the braai stand and place the coals on one side of the stand.
- Place the chicken on the work surface, skin-side up. Using your palms, press firmly on the breastbone to flatten the breast.
- Rub the chicken with 45ml oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken, skin-side down, over indirect heat.
- Place foil-covered bricks on top of the chicken and grill for 30 minutes or until the skin is golden and crisp.
- Using tongs, remove the bricks and turn the chicken so that it’s skin-side up.
- Replace the bricks and continue grilling for 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Chop the herbs, garlic, and chilli. Season with salt and lemon juice. Drizzle the rest of the oil over the herbs and mix well.
- Smear the herb mixture over the hot chicken.
- Serve your delicious braai chicken with a fresh salad.