Chef Claire Allen shares a recipe that’s close to her heart.
- 1 kg chicken
- oil to cover the base of the pot
- 2 large cinnamon sticks
- 2 bay leaf
- 6 green cardamom pods, crushed
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- 4 cloves
- 1 sprigs of curry leaves
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp crushed ginger and garlic mix
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 3 tbsp Mrs Balls chutney (Mom's secret ingredient)
- 3 level tsp medium chili powder
- 2 tbsp Durban Curry powder
- 5 tsp garam masala
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes
- 6 small to medium potatoes, quartered
- fresh coriander, chopped
- salt to taste
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 500ml water
- Heat oil in a pot.
- Add cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, bay leaf and fennel. Stir.
- Add curry leaves, curry powder, chili powder, onion, turmeric, ginger, garlic and garam masala.
- Braise for 3-4 minutes. Add vinegar and Mrs. Balls chutney.
- Add the chicken and mix until the meat is coated with spices.
- Add stock and crushed tomatoes.
- Cover saucepan and cook/braise on moderate heat for a few minutes.
- Stir from time to time until the meat is well braised. Add potatoes.
- Add water whenever needed. Don't let it burn out.
- Adjust seasoning and serve.