Chicken stew with steamed dumplings
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1.5 kg chicken pieces, defrosted
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp chicken spice
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 1 chicken stock pot
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp cream of chicken soup powder
- 1 cup flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 60g margarine
- ⅔ cup milk
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat a pot over medium heat. Add oil.
- Brown the chicken pieces. Add the onions, stirring until soft.
- Stir in the carrots, chicken spice, bay leaf, potatoes, stock and water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Make a paste, mixing the soup powder with water.
- Pour the paste into the chicken pot. Stir, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Rub in the margarine until the mixture is crumbly. Add the milk and parsley, and mix to form a dough.
- Drop spoonfuls of dough over the chicken pieces.
- Cover immediately for 8 minutes or until the dumplings have doubled in size.