Chicken on grilled sourdough with smoky chutney
This melt-in-the-mouth grilled sarmie hits the spot!
- 4 chicken thighs
- 20ml olive oil
- 15ml lemon juice
- 5ml lemon zest
- 15ml paprika
- 10ml cayenne pepper
- 15ml barbeque spice
- 5ml dried mixed herbs
- 2.5ml dried garlic flakes
- 5ml salt
- 10ml olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 50g tomato paste
- 15ml smoked paprika
- 5ml cayenne pepper
- 20ml sugar
- 700g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 120ml water
- salt and pepper
- 4 slices sourdough, grilled
- 12 slices mature cheddar cheese
- Mix all the ingredients for the marinade.
- Rub the marinade over the chicken and allow the meat to sit in the marinade for at least 1 hour before cooking.
- Barbeque the chicken thighs until they’re cooked through.
- Put aside and allow to cool slightly.
- Shred the chicken thighs, including the skin.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan. Add the onion and garlic and cook over a medium heat until slightly softened (about 5 minutes).
- Add the tomato paste, spices, and sugar, and fry for a further 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes and toss through the rest of the ingredients. Fry the tomatoes until they start to soften.
- Add the water and cook until the water has evaporated and you have a chutney-like consistency.
- Season to taste.
- Top each grilled piece of sourdough with two spoons of tomato chutney.
- Top with shredded chicken; then add 3 pieces of cheese.
- Place under the grill to melt.