Chicken, lentil and tomato pot with braaibroodjies
Few things are more South African than potjiekos and braaibroodjies. This recipe adds a modern twist.
- 30ml canola oil
- 1 x County Fair Star Pack
- 1 onion, sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 10ml smoked paprika
- 10ml dried thyme
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 250ml chicken stock
- 2 x 400g tins brown lentils
- 10g parsley, chopped
- 30g butter, softened
- 8 slices white bread
- 250g cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper
- Heat 15ml oil in a braai pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken and brown on all sides. Remove from the pan.
- Add the remaining 15ml of oil. Add the onion and cook until softened.
- Add a pinch of salt, pepper, paprika and dried thyme. Cook for a further minute, and then add the tomatoes and chicken stock.
- Place the chicken pieces back into the pot.
- Cook the stew over low heat for about 45 minutes.
- Add the drained lentils and cook for a further 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Top with fresh, chopped parsley before serving.
- Butter both sides of each piece of bread.
- Divide the cheddar between four slices, and then top with tomato and onion. Season with salt and pepper and place another piece of plain, buttered bread on top.
- Place the sandwiches between a closed grid. Grill over medium heat, taking care not to burn the broodjies. Turn occasionally and braai until golden and crispy.
- Serve the braai pot with the cheesy braaibroodjies.