If you don’t have a pestle and mortar, you can use a rolling pin and plastic to crush the spices.
- 4 chicken quarters
- 30ml oil
- 15ml mustard seeds
- 10ml fennel seeds
- 10ml cumin seeds
- 1ml turmeric
- 5ml chilli powder
- 1 bay leave
- 2 curry leaves (optional)
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2cm fresh ginger, grated
- 500ml chicken stock
- Heat a saucepan to a medium temperature.
- Heat the oil and brown the chicken pieces in batches. Set aside.
- Heat a dry pan over a low temperature. Toast the spice seeds and grind until crushed.
- Mix the crushed seeds with the turmeric and chilli powder.
- Using the same saucepan you used for the chicken, fry the herbs and spices for 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger, and continue to cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the pan and pour over the stock. Cook until fully cooked.
- Serve with soft white bread.