Fragrant biryani is a favourite among South African families. This tasty recipe is an easy one to try.
- 1½ cups (375ml) double-cream yoghurt
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2cm fresh ginger, grated
- a handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- 20 cardamom pods, crushed 1 tsp (5ml) turmeric
- curry powder
- a pinch of ground cloves
- 2 green chilies
- 8 chicken thighs, halved (crush through the bone)
- ¼ cup (60ml) vegetable oil
- 5 onions, sliced
- 2 cups (350g) rice
- For the marinade, blitz all the ingredients in a blender.
- Score the thighs and pour over the marinade. Cover and marinate at room temperature for 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 180°
- Heat the oil in a cast-iron dish and fry the onions for 30 minutes, stirring often, until golden. Scoop out half.
- Pour the chicken and marinade into the dish and stir until it starts to simmer. Cover and roast in the oven for 20 minutes or until the meat is tender.
- Soak the rice in cold water for 20 minutes. Bring a saucepan of water to a boil, add the strained rice, bring to a boil and strain.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and turn down the temperature to 140° Spoon out half the chicken, sprinkle half the rice over the chicken in the dish and season. Layer the remaining chicken followed by the rice on top.
- Scatter with the remaining onion. Cover with baking paper, then foil, and then the lid.
- Bake for 30 minutes.