Chefs’ tip #12
How to tell if the chicken on the braai is ready.
Five tips to ensure the perfect braaied chicken.
- One way to check if the chicken is done is by making a deep cut into the thickest part of the breast; meat juices running clear is a sure sign that it’s ready.
- When a chicken is fully cooked on the braai, the chicken drumsticks will move more freely in their joints.
- Cooked chicken meat is white, with meat juices clearly visible and with no traces of pink colouring on the meat.
- Chicken on the bone will cook longer than cuts without. This is because while the bone adds flavour, it’s a poor conductor of heat, resulting in these pieces cooking a little longer.
- Medium heat on the fire is always best, and keep turning!