Chefs’ tip #11
Keep your chicken braai healthy and safe
Planning to braai chicken? Make sure your guests don't get sick because of improper handling of the meat.
- Always wash your hands properly before and after handling food.
- Keep chicken refrigerated until it’s ready for the braai grid.
- Always marinade your chicken in the refrigerator.
- Don’t reuse marinades used on raw chicken unless it’s boiled first. Boiling destroys harmful bacteria.
- Don’t place cooked chicken on the same plate used to transport raw chicken to the braai grid. The juices from the raw meat could contaminate the cooked chicken.
- Use a food thermometer to make sure your chicken is cooked through – chicken should be warmed up to at least 75 degrees Celsius.