- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- 15g fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chop the stalks and leaves separately
- 70g quality chorizo, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 chicken thighs
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 tsp tomato purée
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 cup paella rice
- 500ml boiling water
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 100g frozen peas
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Pour the oil into a large shallow lidded casserole dish or paella pan over medium heat. Fry the garlic, onion, carrot, parsley stalks, chorizo, chicken pieces and paprika for about 5 minutes, stirring regularly. Add the black pepper and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Stir through the tomato purée and crumble in the stock cube. Add the rice and stir for a couple of minutes so it sucks up the flavour. Add the water, sea salt and black pepper, pop on the lid and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes, stirring regularly from the outside in and from the inside out. Add more water if needed.
- Stir in the peas, put the lid back on and cook for a further 5 minutes, or until the peas are hot.
- Season to taste and scatter the chopped parsley leaves over the paella. Serve with lemon wedges on the side to squeeze over.