Turkish chicken kebabs with yoghurt hummus
Kebabs are a great way to enjoy chicken fillets. The Middle Eastern flavours in this version are a worthy update!
Ingredients:For the chicken
- 4 chicken breast fillets
- 1 cup (250ml) plain yoghurt
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) tomato paste
- 2 tsp (10ml) chilli flakes
- 1 tsp (5ml) cumin powder
- 1 tsp (5ml) coriander powder
- 2 tsp (10ml) paprika
- Salt and milled pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) olive oil
- ¼ cup (60ml) full-fat plain yoghurt
- ½ cup (125ml) hummus
- Juice and zest of ½ lemon
- 5g coriander, chopped
- 5g mint, chopped
- Slice the chicken into even chunks, about 1.5cm x 1.5cm.
- In a bowl, whisk together the yoghurt, garlic, lemon zest and juice, tomato paste, chilli flakes, cumin, coriander, paprika, and a big pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken chunks and mix well. Place in the fridge and allow to marinate overnight, or for a minimum of 4 hours.
- While the braai or grill is heating up, place the chicken chunks onto skewers, either 4 large or 8 small.
- While the grill is very hot, brush the peppers with olive oil and place them on the heat to blacken all over.
- Remove the peppers from the heat and place them in a bowl. Cover with clingfilm and allow to steam for 15-30 minutes, then discard the stalk and pips and peel the skin off. Slice the peppers into 1cm wide strips
- Prepare the yoghurt hummus dressing – Mix all the ingredients together. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Grill the chicken skewers on the grill until nicely charred and cooked through.
- Place each on top of a flatbread. Top with slices of peppers and drizzle over the dressing. Top with picked herbs and a lemon wedge. Serve.