Chicken gizzards are packed with protein and other nutrients and full of flavour.
- vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano
- 1 tbsp chicken spice
- 1 tbsp barbeque spice
- 1 bag chicken gizzards
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
- 500g spinach
- pap to serve
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley to garnish
- salt and pepper
- Heat a dash of oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic, onion, tomato paste, bay leaf, herbs, and spices. Sauté for a few minutes until the onions soften and become translucent.
- Put the onion mixture and gizzards into the slow cooker. Add the chicken stock and tomatoes.
- If necessary, add enough water to just cover the gizzards.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 4 hours.
- After 3½ hours, add the spinach along with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 30 another minutes.
- Serve with pap and garnish with fresh parsley.