Chef Claire Allen’s chowder is even better the next day.
- 4 chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- ½ cup crispy bacon, diced
- 1 tbsp garlic
- 420g can of corn kernels
- 420g can of creamed corn
- 500g potatoes, chopped into quarters
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tsp garlic powder
- 1½ cup cream
- ¼ cup corn starch
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- fresh chives or sliced green onions to serve
- salt and pepper
- Sear the chicken in a pan over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic, onion, carrots, and red peppers, and fry.
- Fry the diced bacon until crispy and set aside.
- Tip the chicken and vegetables from the pan into the slow cooker.
- Add the corn kernels, creamed corn, potatoes, chicken stock, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Stir and cover with the slow cooker’s lid.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
- Stir in the cream when the potatoes are tender and the chicken is falling apart (about 45 minutes before the end of the cooking time).
- Whisk together the corn starch and milk, and stir into the pot.
- Cover and allow to thicken on the high heat setting.
- Use a potato masher to further thicken the chowder.
- Stir in salt and pepper to taste. Add in the cheese and top with the bacon.
- Garnish with fresh chives or sliced green onions, and serve.