Braaiing a whole bird may seem intimidating, but it’s easy if you spatchcock the chicken and braai over indirect heat.
- 45ml braai seasoning
- 5ml brown sugar
- 5ml paprika
- 2.5ml cumin
- 2.5ml cayenne pepper
- 30ml oil
- 1 whole chicken
- a handful of fresh, mixed herbs
- 80g sugar snaps, blanched
- a handful of green tomatoes (optional)
- ⅓ cucumber, sliced
- 1 lettuce head
- 60ml garlic-and-herb dressing
- In a small bowl, mix the braai seasoning, sugar, paprika, cumin, cayenne and oil.
- Smear the mixture over the butterflied, whole chicken.
- Preheat the braai stand when the coals are starting to cool down.
- Place the chicken over the grid and braai for 30 minutes, turning every so often.
- Mix the salad ingredients in a bowl and serve with the chicken.