Cheesy pap, herb and chicken croquettes with sticky dipping sauce
The trick is to ensure that the pap is thick and that it’s cooled down completely before assembling.
2 cups maize meal, prepared according to packaging instructions
2 County Fair chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
2 cups grated cheddar or mozzarella
a handful of fresh basil, chopped
1 cup flour
3 eggs, whisked
2 cups breadcrumbs
vegetable oil for frying
1 tbsp whole spices (coriander, cumin or mustard seeds)
1 cup tomato sauce
1 tbsp paprika or cayenne pepper
¼ cup white vinegar
salt and milled pepper
- Combine pap, shredded chicken, cheese and herbs in a large bowl. Season generously.
- Take 2 tbsp (30ml) of mixture and roll into a croquette. Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Roll each croquette into flour, egg and breadcrumbs respectively.
- Deep fry in hot oil for about 4-6 minutes or until golden.
- For the sauce, heat oil in a pan and fry spices until fragrant.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 5 minutes. Season.
- Serve croquettes with sticky dipping sauce.