A new cheesy twist on your classic braai-pap dish, easy as 1-2-3.
- 1 kg chicken gizzards, cleaned and washed
- Water to cover
- 1 bottle (385g) Mango Atchar
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) apricot jam
- 1 tsp (5 ml) garlic
- 2 cups (500 ml) whole milk
- 2 cups (500 ml) water
- 1 ½ tsp (7 ml) salt
- 1 cup (250 ml) mielie meal or yellow cornmeal
- 4 Tbsp (60 ml) salted butter
- ½ tsp (3 ml) freshly ground black pepper
- 100 g cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 sweet corn cobs, blanched, charred and cut from the cob
- First, boil the gizzards in enough water to cover them until slightly soft for about 30 minutes once cooked, set the gizzards aside to cool.
- For the marinade, blend half the atchar with the apricot jam and garlic
- Mix in the cooked gizzards and allow them to soak in the marinade for about 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare your braai.
- Soak kebab skewers in enough water to cover them.
- Thread 7-8 gizzards onto a skewer
- Braai the gizzards until just charred - basting with the remaining marinade as you go—season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with cheesy pap, charred corn and extra atchar.
- Combine milk, 1 cup water and salt in a large pot over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Gradually whisk the remaining cold water and mielie meal and then whisk into the simmering milk and water - be careful as the pap starts to spit quickly.
- Cover the pot and simmer over low heat for about 20 minutes until creamy, stirring every 5 minutes to prevent the bottom from burning.
- Remove the pot from heat and stir in the grated cheese until melted.
- Serve the gizzards on top of the mielie meal and garnish using charred corn pieces and atchar.