More than just a condiment, this atchar marinade adds sweet and spicy notes onto the chicken.
- 1 cup (250ml) atchar, blended
- 1kg Goldi Kebabs
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) oil
- 7 cups (1,7l) water
- 1 tsp (5ml) salt
- 2 cups (300g) maize meal
- 4 cups (200g) spinach or umbayu, roughly chopped
- Blend the atchar to a paste; if you don’t have a blender use a pestle and mortar to grind the atchar.
- Remove kebabs from packaging, transfer to a baking tray and pat dry.
- Add the atchar marinade to the kebabs, and use your hands to spread marinade all over the chicken.
- Set aside to marinate for up to 2 hours or at least 30 minutes.
- While the chicken is marinating, prepare the Umfino.
- In a medium pot, bring water and salt to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat and slowly whisk in the maize meal. Stir in spinach or umbayu, cover and cook for 20 - 25 minutes until desired thickness.
- To cook kebabs, lightly grease the grill with oil and place over medium heat coals.
- Cook for 10 - 15 minutes, frequently rotating (every 4 minutes) to prevent drying out. If you have marinade left over in the tray, use it to marinate the chicken.
- Serve the kebabs on top of the umfino.