West African cuisine has never been trendier! These super-tasty chicken wings go down a treat.
- 12 chicken wings
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp smoked chilli flakes
- 60ml tomato paste
- ½ cup smooth peanut butter
- 150ml chicken stock plus 1 cup water
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- zest of 2 small limes
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- salt and pepper
- salted peanuts, chopped and toasted
- 1 large mango, peeled and chopped
- 60ml spring onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp red pepper, chopped
- zest of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp honey
- mint, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Season the chicken wings with salt and pepper, place on a roasting tray and drizzle with 1 tbsp vegetable oil. Bake in the oven until golden brown and crispy.
- Make the dipping sauce by heating the rest of the oil in a saucepan on medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic and chilli. Cook for a few minutes until the onion becomes soft and starts to caramelise.
- Add the tomato paste, peanut butter and stock. Simmer until the sauce thickens.
- Add the fish sauce, lime zest and juice. Taste to adjust the seasoning.
- Toss one third of the sauce with the crispy, cooked chicken wings. Set aside and keep warm.
- Mix together all the salsa ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the wings with the extra sauce and salsa, sprinkle with chopped, toasted peanuts and garnish with fresh mint.