Spicy masala chicken gatsby with all the trimmings
As authentic and synonymous with South Africa cooking heritage as a koeksister or biltong.
4 x skinless chicken breasts
30ml garam masala
15ml medium curry powder
salt and pepper
A glug of olive oil
2 onions, sliced
¼ cup chutney
A handful of fresh coriander, chopped
1 gatsby roll
A handful of shredded lettuce
2 salad tomatoes, sliced
4 large potatoes, peeled, sliced into chips, and fried
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
4 eggs, fried crispy
- Combine chicken, garam masala, curry powder, and season well with salt and pepper.
- In a pan, heat oil and fry onions for 3-4 minutes until golden.
- Add chicken and cook for a further 6 minutes.
- Toss through the chutney and a squeeze of lemon, then set aside.
- Place lettuce and sliced tomatoes on the bottom half of the gatsby roll.
- Top with chicken mixture, cheese, chips, fried eggs, and lastly the lid of the gatsby roll.
Serve immediately and indulge in this absolute winner!
Cook’s note: Spread your favourite sauce on the inside of both gatsby roll halves if you wish.