Craving the sweet and tangy flavours of tropical fruit mixed with the slight char from the braai?
Then this recipe is sure to hit the spot!
- 16 chicken pieces braai pack
- Salt and milled pepper
- 3 red onions, sliced into wedges (8-10pcs per onion)
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) canola oil
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) garlic, chopped
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) ginger, chopped
- 1 tsp (5ml) red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) curry powder
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) turmeric powder
- 1 cup (250ml) chicken stock
- 2.5 cups mango chutney
- 1 cup (250ml) mayonnaise
- ¼ cup (60ml) lemon juice
- 1/3 cup (80ml) Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Place the chicken pieces in a casserole dish, skin side up, and season generously with salt and pepper. Arrange the red onion wedges between the chicken.
- Heat a pot on the stove over medium heat. Add the oil.
- Add the garlic, ginger and chilli. Sauté for 5 minutes, stirring constantly, ensuring it does not burn.
- Add the curry powder and turmeric. Sauté for a further 3 minutes until aromatic.
- Add the chicken stock, mango chutney, mayonnaise, lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce.
- Bring to a simmer, then remove from the heat.
- Pour the sauce evenly over the chicken. Cover with a lid or tin foil and place in the oven.
- Roast for 1 hour. Remove the foil, then roast for a further 30 minutes until cooked through and golden.
- Serve the chicken hot, garnished with fresh coriander and served with steamed rice and rotis.