Spicy mango chutney baked chicken with roasted red onion
Craving the sweet and tangy flavours of tropical fruit mixed with the slight char from the braai?
Then this recipe is sure to hit the spot!
- 16 chicken pieces braai pack
- Salt and milled pepper
- 3 red onions, sliced into wedges (8-10pcs per onion)
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) canola oil
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) garlic, chopped
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) ginger, chopped
- 1 tsp (5ml) red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) curry powder
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) turmeric powder
- 1 cup (250ml) chicken stock
- 2.5 cups mango chutney
- 1 cup (250ml) mayonnaise
- ¼ cup (60ml) lemon juice
- 1/3 cup (80ml) Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Place the chicken pieces in a casserole dish, skin side up, and season generously with salt and pepper. Arrange the red onion wedges between the chicken.
- Heat a pot on the stove over medium heat. Add the oil.
- Add the garlic, ginger and chilli. Sauté for 5 minutes, stirring constantly, ensuring it does not burn.
- Add the curry powder and turmeric. Sauté for a further 3 minutes until aromatic.
- Add the chicken stock, mango chutney, mayonnaise, lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce.
- Bring to a simmer, then remove from the heat.
- Pour the sauce evenly over the chicken. Cover with a lid or tin foil and place in the oven.
- Roast for 1 hour. Remove the foil, then roast for a further 30 minutes until cooked through and golden.
- Serve the chicken hot, garnished with fresh coriander and served with steamed rice and rotis.