Curry in a hurry – this hearty meal is ready in no-time.
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) crushed garlic and ginger
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) masala medium
- 500g Goldi chicken pieces
- 1 medium tomato, peeled and chopped
- 50g tomato paste
- 150ml plain yoghurt or Inkomazi (maas)
- 1 tsp (5ml) sugar
- 1 tsp (5ml) salt
- 1 tsp (5ml) black pepper
- 1 tsp (5ml) ground turmeric
- 2 cups (500ml) boiling water
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) chopped coriander
- Par-cooked potatoes (optional)
- Heat oil in a large pot and fry the onion.
- Add the garlic and ginger, and masala and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces and fry for 10 -15 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes and tomato paste and stir.
- Add yoghurt or Inkomazi and cook over low heat, covered for 15 minutes.
- Add the sugar, salt, pepper and turmeric.
- Add boiling water, a little at a time, stir and cover.
- Lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Set aside for at least 10 minutes for the flavours to settle.
- Once ready to serve, garnish with roughly chopped coriander.