All the classic Italian flavours that you love baked into one easy dish!
- 8 chicken pieces, thighs and drumsticks
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) dry oregano
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) dry basil
- Salt and milled pepper
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) olive oil
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ cup (60ml) chicken stock
- ¼ cup (60ml) balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) brown sugar
- 1 punnet (250g) cherry tomatoes
- 1 punnet (250g) buffalo mozzarella, cubed
- Basil pesto, to taste
- Handful fresh basil
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Place the chicken in a bowl and season with oregano, basil, salt and pepper.
- Heat a pan on high heat with the olive oil. Once hot, add the chicken skin side down and let it get golden and crisp.
- Turn the chicken over and cook the other side for 3 minutes. Remove from the pan and place the chicken pieces skin side up in a roasting dish with the tomatoes.
- Turn the heat of the pan down to low. Add the garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Deglaze with the chicken stock and balsamic vinegar, and add the sugar. Simmer for 3 minutes.
- Pour the balsamic mix over the chicken pieces and add the cherry tomatoes.
- Place the dish in the oven with a lid or foil cover.
- Roast for 30 minutes, then remove the lid and roast uncovered for a further 20 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and turn the oven onto grill.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella cubes over the chicken pieces and return to the oven. Allow to grill until the cheese is golden.
- Drizzle over the pesto and garnish with fresh basil leaves. Serve.