BUTTER-BASTED CHICKEN WITH CHAKALAKA AND ROOSTERBROOD
Nothing beats easy-to-prep braai chicken. It gives you more time to spend with your guests!
- 6 chicken pieces
- 160g butter
- 5ml paprika
- 5ml onion powder (optional)
- 5ml garlic powder
- 15ml oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 15ml medium curry powder
- 10ml cayenne pepper
- 60ml tomato sauce
- 1 tin chopped tomato
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 3 peppers (yellow, green, and red)
- a handful of cherry tomatoes
- 1 tin baked beans
Method:For the chicken:
- Mix the butter with the spices.
- Smear half the spice butter over the chicken.
- Braai the chicken for 35 minutes, turning and basting with the remaining butter.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat (or over the coals).
- Fry the onion, curry, and cayenne for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, tomatoes, carrots, and peppers. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- When the carrots are tender, add the cherry tomatoes and baked beans. Season.
- Mix the flour, salt, sugar, and yeast together.
- Add the butter into the flour mixture, rubbing it with your fingertips until the mixture resembles crumbs.
- Add water to the dry ingredients to form a soft dough. Place aside, cover, and allow to rise for 1 hour.
- Knead the dough again and shape into 12 balls.
- Place the dough aside for 10 minutes.
- Flatten the balls slightly and sprinkle with a little flour.
- Cook over a low fire for 10 minutes on each side.
- Tap the bread with your fingers. When it makes a hollow sound, it’s ready to serve.